Sunday, September 7, 2008

This Week in Patti's Reading



I've been lazy about posting reviews this week, sorry! Here is a short and sweet roundup of what I've been reading.

Would You by Marthe Jocelyn
This is the story of a girl who's sister is hit by a car and lays comatose in the hospital. It is extremely well written and all the emotions ring true. I could empathize with Nat, feel her confusion, guilt, pain, love. I especially loved Nat's friends. This one will make you cry.

The Patron Saint of Butterflies by Cecilia Galante
Told in the voices of two friends who live on a religious commune. One is a true believer, one a skeptic. I was immediately drawn into the book. It was suspenseful, it was dramatic, I couldn't put it down. About half way through I sort of lost interest - something about the girls voices. This was a well written book, but it wasn't for me.

The Ghosts of Kerfol by Deborah Noyes
The author took a story by Edith Warton (available online through Project Gutenburg) and based a series of interrelated stories on it. The first sets up the rest - it is a story of obsession and hatred so deep it permeates a physical space. The stories are atmospheric, ghostly, bloody, and woven together in interesting and surprising ways. They will appeal to readers who want love stories (albeit ones where the love goes horribly wrong) as well as those who are looking for a spooky read. I enjoyed this very much.

How to Build a House by Dana Reinhardt
Harper decides to join a summer volunteer project to build a house for a family who has lost their house to a tornado. She went there for much needed escape from her imploding family situation. Her dad and stepmother have divorced, her step-sister (also her best friend from the minute they met) is distant and angry. The story is set up with Harper in the present working on the project and then flashbacks to her family's disintegration. You learn hint by hint, story by story, what has really happened with Harper's family. It took me a few chapters to warm up to Harper's voice, but warm up I did. This one is very Sarah Desseny (with the boy who is a catalyst to change). The ending is also incredibly heartwarming. I enjoyed this one quite a bit as well.

1 comment:

Kerry said...

No need to apologize. I mean, look at how long it generally takes for me to post a single review of a book as short as a Sweet Valley book. Speaking of which, as soon as I lay hands on the next two, there shall be some reviewage of that!