Friday, July 17, 2009

The End of Fruits Basket by Natsuki Takaya


Well, I finished it last week, but it has taken me a while to fully digest and accept that it is over.
I loved the ending! The breaking of the curse was so simple but I didn't even guess how it would happen. This series made me laugh, made me cry, and made me so angry. I felt like I knew these people. And I am going to miss them all, even Akito.
Also, I like that Takaya-san didn't seem forced to make sure that everyone ends up with someone. While the ending is happy, it is not pat or forced. It fits the lives of the people in the story.
I really fell in love with the side characters, especially Tohru's mom and dad and Shishou. It was great in a story with so many broken homes to see some responsible and loving parents. Oh, and Hiro's mom was loving and hilarious.

I forced myself to reread the rest of the series before reading the ending, and I noticed something. If you read it with some knowledge of future events, you notice that there is a ton of foreshadowing. Not to mention lyrical prose, consistent themes, and beautifully imagery, both drawn and written. This series could stand up against some classic literature for its use of the true literary elements!

So, go, reread the whole thing, and enjoy it on an entirely different level.....

No comments: