Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Lunch Lady and the Cyborg Substitute by Jarrett J. Krosoczka


Jarrett J. Krosoczka's picture book Punk Farm is a staple in my library storytimes. I'm game for belting out "Old Mac Donald Had a Farm" in my best rock star voice as well as demonstrating a little air guitar. Fun book.

Being a fan, I was thrilled when I learned that Krosoczka was working on graphic novels for younger readers. There is such a need for younger reader graphic novels-ones with larger type and simple text. Think beginner reader books. My 6 year old loves comics & I'm always looking for ones he can read to himself. Parents and teachers visiting the library have also asked me for ideas. I can't wait to recommend this one - and it's a series! Hooray!

I had lunch with my 6 year old at his school last week. He brings his lunch, but I had the day's special: grilled cheese and vegetable soup. My favorite part: chocolate milk, natch. Mmm. Anyway, next time I go back I won't be able to stop from thinking about Lunch Lady.

Our nameless Lunch Lady is a crime-stopper extraordinaire. When she's not serving up breakfast French toast sticks or lunchtime pizza (with gravy!), she's serving up... justice! ("Lunch Lady: Serving Justice & Serving Lunch") Batman has Alfred, Lunch Lady has Betty. Betty cooks up spatula copters, hairnet nets, and other gadgets that will make your elementary schooler giggle. Krosoczka also plops in as many food references as he can, inventing new ones as well. When faced with an army of cyborgs, Lunch Lady exclaims, "Cauliflower!" Love it. In addition to Lunch Lady's escapades, we also have a side story involving the Breakfast Bunch (Hector, Dee, Terrance) dealing with a school bully. That storyline was a nice surprise and very, very well handled.

Krosoczka uses thick black lines, shaded in greys with highlights of yellow. Kind of like a yellow Babymouse. (Psst. It would make a fun display to have these 2 next to each other.) It works.

Already out! Vol 2: Lunch Lady and the League of Librarians

More fun plus Evil Librarians. Bring it.

Coming December 2009 - Vol 3: Lunch Lady and the Author Visit Vendetta [an homage to Pinkwater's Flippy Bunny in his book Author's Day?]

Coming this spring! - Lunch Lady and the Summer Camp Shake Down


Alfred A. Knopf, an imprint of Random House Children's Books, 2009
source: library copy

No comments: