Tuesday, July 20, 2010

HeLa and NPR


So I've been trying to work up the energy to write a review of the adult nonfiction book The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks and can't seem to find the time. These last dog days of summer programming are getting to me. Busy. And then more busy. With a heaping side of busy.

Needless to say it was freakin' fantastic. I am not a huge nonfiction reader, but I remember hearing an NPR story on this book and thinking it sounded fascinating. And it really was. All about biology and science and family history. The author seamlessly wove all of that into one interconnected narrative that was funny and interesting and sad all at the same time. I can't recommend it enough.


And then again from NPR, a neato blog post called, "Why the Next Big Pop Culture Wave After Cupcakes Might be Libraries."

===============================================================
Book Source = ARC snagged off of staff shelf by Joanna who then sent it to me. Thanks J!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh. I heard about this on my Radio Lab podcast. Check it out if you haven't. I'll have to look into this.

Patti said...

Kristina! What is your Radio Lab podcast? And also your blog...did you get too downcast about your internship to continue? haha...er...ahem. :)

Kerry said...

I read this book about three months ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have an odd fondness for science non-fiction, and this really hit the spot, plus it was an astonishing human interest story. I, too, recommend it.

joanna said...

You're welcome! I hope to get to read it sometime.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Ack. Not my podcast. Its through NPR. Haha. The blog though, that is due to 50 hour work weeks!Reading this is making me inspired though!