Monday, July 16, 2012

Movie Review: Moonrise Kingdom

I saw Wes Anderson's "Moonrise Kingdom" on Thursday and fell in love. It wasn't too difficult as I am already a huge fan of his movies, but this one hit me square in the glittery pink YA book nerd part of my heart.

One of the main characters is a 12 year old girl named Suzy who is a reader (and school library thief!) of YA sci-fi/fantasy. The books are all made up for the movie and we get to see their covers and hear a few passages. Brilliant. Absolutely delightful. I didn't read reviews of the movie before seeing it because I didn't want to be spoiled and I had no idea this was part of the story.

Last week That Blog Belongs to Emily Brown! published a post about the movie and the books Suzy may have read in 1965. Please go check it out and then run out to the theater and go see the movie.

Also, Kara Hayward, the actress who plays Suzy, looks like the daughter of Kristen Stewart and Emma Watson. I mean this as a compliment. I couldn't stop thinking about it while watching her on screen.

3 comments:

xemilyx said...

You know what else I realized? It's so cool to see child actors playing the parts of children. In the Hunger Games and most movie versions of books for young people, you get 25-year-olds playing the parts of teenagers. This movie felt so much more real, because the actors actually looked and acted like adolescents.

joanna said...

Yes! I totally agree.

Apollo Luxury Architectural Design Studio said...

A satirically quirky coming-of-age romp through 1960's New England culture with a fantastic ensemble cast, uniquely executed in signature Wes Anderson fashion.