Thursday, June 12, 2008

100 Cupboards by N. D. Wilson

Doesn't this cover just scream, "Pick me up!"?


Twelve-year-old Henry's parents have been kidnapped in South America, and he has come to live with his aunt, uncle, and 3 cousins in Henry, Kansas. Their ramshackle house holds lots of secrets-secrets that slowly begin to reveal themselves to Henry and his cousin Henrietta. First, there are the two strange compass dials that break their way out of Henry's attic bedroom wall. Then, there are the cupboards-99 of them that Henry discovers behind the plaster on the same wall, one of which seems to lead to a post office and another where trees and rain came be seen. Not to mention, the strange small man who seems to be living in their dead grandfather's room, which no one has been able to open in the past two years. Will Henry and Henrietta uncover these mysteries before something horrible comes out of the cupboards?


I really enjoyed this book! At first, it was just a bit spooky, but later it reminded me of some of the classic fantasy series, like Narnia or Dark is Rising, where a seemingly normal child finds a strange new world. Apparently, it is the first in a new series; I am looking forward to the next one. Sadly, it was published in December, or I would suggest it for our Mock Newbery--it is that good!

2 comments:

Patti said...

This one just sounds awesome. I wish it was for a slightly older crowd so i could justify reading it right now. I'll have to wait. booo!

Anonymous said...

I just got this book in the morning mail and have read it through and now my daughter has started reading it. I love this book!

The only thing I don't like, is that I didn't realize it was the beginning of a series, now I must pine away waiting!!

Any idea when the next is due?