Thursday, December 25, 2008

The Tale of Despereaux Movie


For this year's holiday movie, I went to see "The Tale of Despereaux" with my hubby, after first reading it aloud together. I wasn't expecting perfection, but they did all right.

Lots of details were tweaked and changed, I guess to make the story either more interesting or more understandable. It was definitely obvious that they took out some of the more "disturbing" features, such as Despereaux being betrayed by his family and the repeated clouting of Miggery Sow's ears. Typical Hollywood rewriting.

However, for the most part, I was happy with the result. The spirit of the story remained: bravery, individuality, and forgiveness. So, I can forgive the changing of a few minor details.....

All in all, I recommend the movie for those who love the book, even with the changes.

P.S. The detailed sneak peeks of "Coraline" and "Inkheart" got me pretty excited about those upcoming releases!

No comments: