Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Kisses and Lies by Lauren Henderson

As soon as it was possible to, I got my hot little hands on a copy of this book. And this one starts right where the other one left off. Scarlett and Taylor still investigating the death of Dan who died after a kiss from Scarlett.

Plum, Scartlett’s nemesis of sorts, and her main suspect enters into the book early on in a rather unforgettable scene Taylor and Scarlett see her in a club table dancing.
“Her skinny legs flash up and down, and when she does that
squatting move again, which makes all the boys whoop, I’m pretty sure that everyone in front of her is definitely, as promised, seeing her knickers. I don’t get why it’s sexy to look like you’re about to go to the loo – even her face is all twisted up like she’s constipated – but clearly there’s a lot about being sexy I’m just not aware of, because it’s going down fantastically with the crowd.”
I think that, in a nutshell, is why I like Scarlett so much. She’s sarcastic, self-depreciating, resourceful, and witty. Taylor, one of my favorite characters from the first book remains great in this one. Sure, there isn’t any more shimmying up of drainpipes, but there are lots of athletic endeavors that are almost as impressive.

This one was much more standard teen detective fare than the first one, with more repetition about clues and suspects than I really wanted and perhaps with a few too many coincidences. Don’t get me wrong, it was still an incredibly fast, enjoyable read, it just was more standard crime solving whereas the first was more normal girl gets pulled into unusual situation. I also liked the introduction of new suspects and how everyone seemed as though they could be the guilty party.

I do wonder if we will see more adventures of Scarlett and Taylor in the future. Will they be pulled into other mysteries since this one is concluded? Or will the author move onto other projects?

And one final comment, what is up with that cover? The first book was so eye catching and this one is so…meh…what happened?

No comments: