Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Evil at Heart by Chelsea Cain

Evil at Heart is the third installment in this series, so there are bound to be some sort of spoilers in here, even if they are unintentional.

I saw this one on the staff recommendations shelf at work and snatched it up like it was chocolate covered candy. Which it totally is. I am a little surprised that a) I picked up the first book in the series b) have read all three so far c) will totally read more in this ridiculous yet incredibly fun series.

I mean, it is about a detective who was tortured by a serial killer, but lived (she actually saved his life...twice) and he is way messed up because she totally gets him hot (and we're subjected to this information quite a bit. Luckily we are not subjected to too many euphemisms for his "love").

So in this installment we get a twist away from the Gretchen murders, Archie puts himself in danger to get tortured a little more (wee!) and then Gretchen escapes. Instead there are copycat murders. There are potential devotees to the cult of Gretchen. The plot thickens. Archie's "relationship" with Gretchen moves onto a new level where he might not get all worked up every time they are near each other.

I must say that I can only read these books because the violence is so over the top I simply can't believe it. I mean, this is a woman serial killer who likes to remove people's spleens with an exacto knife and then sew them back up. She also likes to make you drink draino. She does so much crazy stuff that it just gets to be comical, like she's already operated on this person, carved a heart, pulled their intenstines out their big toe with a crochet hook, what exactly is she going to do next? How exactly will she top that?

I love these books. They are fast reads, they are suspenseful, and they don't keep me up at night wondering if anyone is creeping around at my windows. I can't wait until the next one.

Previously:
Heartsick
Sweetheart

====================
Book Source: Library Copy

No comments: