Thursday, March 25, 2010

Bleeding Violet by Dia Reeves


Hanna is what most people consider crazy--semi-treated bipolar and occasionally hallucinating. After her father dies, she heads to East Texas to find the mother who never wanted her. But Portero, Texas is a place even stranger than Hanna....

I wasn't sure what to expect with this book and it kept me guessing for quite a while. It is definitely fantasy/sci fi with a very unusual heroine. at times, she seemed like anything but heroic. However, I like that she is flawed and not in that "Bella Swan" way; she has her issues, but she ain't taking nothing from nobody, not even her Mama or the all-powerful town Mayor! Make this girl angry and she might just hit you over the head with a blunt object.

I wasn't as taken with the Mortmaine, the protectors in this strange town. Of course, I think that is exactly what the author was aiming for. I did like the romantic interest/hero, though. He was pretty believable and multi-faceted, too, although not as complex as Hanna.

My only problem with this book is that it felt a little drawn out and maybe a bit too violent. Granted the violence and sexuality are a big part of the story, but sometimes it was a bit too much.

However, I highly recommend this book for those Twilight fans who are looking for something new, something grittier, something where people actually die and the ending isn't so pat.

No comments: