Thursday, November 15, 2007

Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life by Bryan Lee O'Malley


A couple of weeks ago, Publisher's Weekly came out with their Best Books of the Year. I went and reserved as many of the GNs (or "comics" as PW calls them) as I could from the library. The first one I received was volume 1 of Bryan Lee O'Malley's Scott Pilgrim series.

Yeah! Now this is what I need! What a totally rockin', hilarious GN. I hooted and hollered and smiled from ear to ear almost the entire book. Judge this book by the cover - look at Scott's pose! Oh baby. Bring. It. On.

Scott, 23, plays bass in a band and is, for lack of a better description, a slacker. Scott has a dream about a mysterious roller blading girl... and sure enough she ends up being real. The real dream girl, Ramona, has 7 "evil ex-boyfriends" and if Scott wants to be with her he has to defeat them all. Ha! It reminded me of Cromartie High when it got to the fights and King Dork with all of the fantastic band stuff. (We even get the lyrics and chords for one song. Rad.)

There's no major cussing but there is a scene of Scott & Ramona in bed deciding, after all, not to have sex. We have it in our teen collection and I think it's a good fit. Preview some pages here.

1 comment:

Laura said...

OK, I finally read this and loved it! Why, Laura, why do you not move more quickly when Joanna recommends something?? *crossing my fingers that volume 2 is checked in...*