Friday, January 15, 2010

Printz Speculation


Why? Because it's fun!





What I think will win:
Marcello in the Real World by Francisco X Stork.
Why? Because it is getting hella buzz and because I’ve never read it. Confession time: I will never read this book. Even if it wins. That’s right! Never! It is probably great, I just can’t seem to make myself do it.

Possible Honors:
Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson
Why?Because it is really, really well written and compelling, even if it does make you want to eat the entire time you’re reading just to show that you can.
Tales From Outer Suburbia by Shaun Tan
Why?Because the stories are wonderfully weird and touching and the art is amazing. This book is one of those special books that doesn’t come along very often.
Lips Touch Three Times by Laini Taylor
Why?Because these were some great stories, even if the last was a little long.
Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness
Why? Because it is the best ever ever ever and I love it. And it has won awards the world over. Because. It. Is. Amazing.
Liar by Justine Larbalestier
Why?Because it turns the unreliable narrator trope on its head. Yes, as someone at our Mock Printz mentioned the author may have gotten a little carried away with her cleverness. But dang it, It is clever! And extrememly well written, even if you hated the fact you don’t find out the truthiest truth. And because it won our Mock Printz and so we are clearly the smartest librarians on the planet (haha).
Solace of the Road by Siobhan Dowd
Why?Beautiful and understated writing. What will hurt it? Probably the road trip theme.

Long Shots:
All the Broken Pieces by Ann E. Burg
Why?Do I really have to say? Soooooooo Goooooooood. What will hurt its chances are that the characters are a little idealized and perfect. But pales in importance to how wonderful this story is.
Burn My Heart by Beverly Naidoo
Why?Compelling and well written, if perhaps a little young. I’ve never read a children’s books where the ugliness of colonialism is so obvious without being didactic at all.
The Devil’s Paintbox by Victoria McKernan
Why?An unromantic western, gritty with terse humor. The ending was perhaps a bit rushed, and there was a prostitute with a heart of gold, but all in all very good.

4 comments:

Jenn H. said...

Having almost finished it, I think The Lost Conspiracy might also have a chance at a Printz honor. I'll write it up after I finish.

Patti said...

Did you grab that arc? I sent Michelle to the office one day on a hunt for it and it wasn't there. Can I borrow? I am so wanting to read it.

joanna said...

I meant to tell you Jenn had a copy of it. She and I talked about it the day after you and I talked about it. I would love it if the Printz gave it a nod and put a younger end winner up there.

Jenn H. said...

Yeah, I have it. I'll send it your way on Tuesday. I'm still processing it, but I'll try to write up a review sometime today.