Friday, August 13, 2010

The Deception by Lee Nichols

I'm going to keep this short since I'm just on the other side of recovery with a 5 day battle with Strep throat which kicked my butt (I had no idea Strep could be this awful).

I sort of told myself no more paranormal books, but this one came highly recommended by good people, that I had to pick it up anyway. I'm glad I did. It is a super fun read. I liked the way the romance was handled. Emma is a bit young and naive, but she is no pushover and she doesn't crave mistreatment (be still my heart). I got a little frustrated with the conversations where nothing is learned, of which there are several with Bennett, one of her love interests. I have never enjoyed that, neither in Lost or in Soap Operas (Days of our Lives if you must know I have no idea how I started, but in grade 3 it was the thing to watch) I have never thought a situation should be drawn out when a simple conversation could solve it.

Regardless, the book was fun. I liked Emma, felt sorry for her a whole lot, and enjoyed the gruesome scenes when they appeared. I thought the ending was good and liked how they left it open for sequels because there is still so much to find out. Where exactly is her family!?

Spoilers >Her Brother Max must be eeeevvvvil. That's my guess. Either that or Bennett. I did love that two ghost keepers can't be together or the stronger will leach all the power out of the weaker. Nice wrench to throw in the romantic works! And I feel like something is up with Sara and Harry. What other creatures might pop up in the sequels? < End Spoilers

================================================
Book Source = I don't really remember. Sorry.

2 comments:

Trisha said...

Yikes, I hope you're feeling better!

Anyway, ooh, prediction time! Let's see, I also liked that relationship obstacle Nichols threw in there, but think they'll end up together eventually. Agree with you about Max, though.

As for the next book (coming March 2011!), I downloaded the Bloomsbury/Walker catalog a week or two ago. Per p. 19,

"The ghostly mystery continues with a traitor in the midst

Emma Vaile is the most powerful ghostkeeper in centuries. Which is great when she’s battling the wraith-master Neos, but terrible when she’s flirting with fellow ghostkeeper (and soul mate) Bennett. When ghostkeepers fall in love, the weaker one loses all power, and that’s not something Bennett can handle.

Heartbroken and alone, Emma tries to lose herself in school with fellow ghostkeeper Natalie. When a new team of ghostkeepers arrive—one a snarky teen boy, the other a British scholar—Emma finds solace in training for the battle against Neos. But as the team grows stronger, they are threatened by an unknown force. One they thought was good.

As chilling and page-turning as Deception, this sequel will grab readers and hold them to the last page. No one is safe from suspicion as Emma closes in on the traitor."

Patti said...

I bet you're right, they're going to find a work around though. Bennett doesn't strike me as a Mr. Mom swept to the sidelines type.

So who is the traitor?! I hope it is someone they go to school with like Sarah or Harry. Something has GOT to be up with them. I just feel it.