Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A Veritable Reading Spree

Yes, I have been on a veritable reading spree of books published for adults! And they were great! Which is fantastic. I kind of love this "adult fiction" thing. Even if I seem to be drawn to the ones with teen characters.


The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
Magical. I loved it. Basically two illusionists set up a contest and the circus is the result. With lots of intrigue and fantastic characters it is easy to just succumb to the story. It is very descriptive, usually that would turn me off of a book, but here I thought it really worked. The world the author created was amazing. The ending? Perhaps a bit anti-climatic. But still lovely. Definitely one of my favorites for the year.


Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson
I obsessed about reading this book for probably about two months before I finally gave in. It sounded like it could go either way: totally awful, or awful in the most awesome way possible. I ended up really liking it. On the cover someone said that it was succinct and I would have to disagree. Not succinct and with descriptions that did not make sense in a first person narrative. BUT. Awesome nonetheless. And it looks like it is going to be a movie directed by Steven Spielberg. Now i'm just wondering whether or not Cowboys & Aliens is going to be awful or amazing? Decisions, decisions...


Bossypants by Tina Fey
Not much to say about this other than the woman is funny. I giggled my way through the entire book. Literally laughed the entire way through. I don't know when the last time I did that.


Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
This is one that has been getting a lot of buzz lately. And it is well-deserved. A fun book about a boy who grew up with a grandfather who told him extraordinary stories. As the boy grew older he believed the stories less and less until one day he didn't believe them at all. Then something horrible happens and Jacob discovers that it's quite possible that everything his grandfather told him was true. Adventure and danger ensues. I really enjoyed it.

I think the book trailer really gives a good insight into the atmosphere of the book:



=================================
Book Sources:
Night Circus - ARC from staff ARC shelf
Robopocalyspe - library copy
Bossypants - library copy
Miss Peregrine's - ARC from staff ARC shelf

No comments: