Sunday, March 25, 2012

YALSA, What's up?

Joanna mentioned this several posts back, but did you know you have to register with YALSA in order to view their award and booklist information?

Honestly, YALSA. What’s up? Why the lock-down on your booklists? Did you feel like you needed to throw up some barriers to all that free and accessible information?

So now if you'd like to take a peek at the award winners you have to register.

“If you are not a member, you will need to fill out this form. By filling out this form, you will receive some kind of contact from YALSA and will be provided an opportunity to opt-out of future communications at that time.”

Did you like that? You will be provided the opportunity to opt-out later. Gee, thanks guys! I also love that I’ll receive “some kind of contact!” That is just creepy! Are y'all going to show up on my doorstep with pamphlets proselytizing the virtues of being an ALA member?

The kicker is that then they ask what kind of information you want to receive from YALSA. And they don’t give you the option to receive nothing. It is required to pick one (or more!) categories of information that will then be sent to you via email. The lesson I learned from this? Information is not free! Even from an organization the professes the freedom to read!

“Thank you for telling us a little more about yourself so that we can meet your needs! You may now access the following pages”

I don’t know how to tell you this, but you met my needs a lot better before I was forced to give you my email address and receive spam from you!

Stop the crazyness!

Sincerely,
Patti

4 comments:

joanna said...

But they used an exclamation point! That means they're friendly! No worries!

I guess people volunteering information about why they need the lists didn't work. Did YALSA even try that? I wonder how this registration system is working and if YALSA is getting the info they want.

LOL - Hooray for a rant! Don't mess w/ Patti in these last few weeks. ;)

Patti said...

They had no questions about why people were wanting to access the lists.

This is, in my opinion, just complete stupidity.

Sheryl said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this ironic and ridiculous. They don't even have an option for returning people to bypass this. I don't think whatever information they are collecting is worth the inconvenience and nuisance of this barrier to information.

Patti said...

That is exactly it. It is a nuisance.