Tuesday, July 3, 2007

This Week in Joanna's Reading



Amelia Rules! Superheroes: vol 3 by Jimmy Gownley
I really love this series about 4th grader Amelia who goes through some tough times as her parents get divorced and she moves in with her aunt. This book focuses on the summer after 4th grade when her aunt moves to another house on the other side of town and Amelia and her buds make new friends with the kids there. All I have to say is: I AM A BRAVE GIRL! Oh, go read it to find out.








The Mysterious Edge of the Heroic World by E. L. Konigsburg
I'm currently reading this one and am about 1/3 of the way through. It's a lot like The Mixed-Up Files to me: eccentric old lady, precocious & highly intelligent kids, art, museums. I am liking it quite a bit, but I can't help but wonder if it's a little too highbrow for a general reader.
**Update
So I finished. It was more and more compelling as I got closer to the mystery unraveling. It helps to have read 19 Schuyler Place, but it isn't necessary. I still stand by my assessment that this book would appeal to a very narrow margin of youth readers.









what my girlfriend doesn't know by Sonya Sones
So has Sonya Sones written a bad novel? This is a sequel to
what my mother doesn't know and picks up immediately after that book ends. We have Robin and Sophie embarking on their relationship much to the disgust of their entire school. (Which I found a little outrageous.) But my goodness, it's compelling. Robin's POV is spot on and page 174 is absolutely superb. The book is swoon-worthy. I don't like the dude on the cover - he looks about 20 years old. And Robin has red hair.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sonya Sones is my favorite author!

I haven't had a chance to read this book but i hear it is great!

I also like Lisi Harrison, author of the clique series.
She is also amazing!