Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Good Neighbors: Kin by Holly Black and Ted Naifeh


So, Holly Black has written a graphic novel and it takes place in the same world as Tithe, Valiant, and Ironside. And I snagged one at ALA! Here's my review. Feel free to add comments as you read it.

Rue is an unusal and adventurous teenager, with punk rock band friends and a habit of urban exploration. When Rue's mother disappears after a fight with her father, he becomes a suspect in not one, but two murders. Not only that, but Rue is beginning to see some pretty strange things around town; and now her mother's long-absent family shows up.

Okay, so the story feels similar to Tithe, but has characters that remind me more of Valiant. I definitely like Rue, though her moody looks occasionally got to me. That's when I reminded myself that a lot is going on in her world, including loss of a parent and a complete reassessment of who she is. She has a strong demeanor and a lot of confidence, even when very confused. Her friends are cool and interesting with opinions and attitudes of their own. And Tam (possible future love interest?) is quite intriguing.....

The artwork is just detailed enough without being photo-realistic. I especially enjoyed the variety of facial expressions and occasional use of background details. Darkness and light are pretty important in this story, and the artwork reflects that.

*Fyi, be on the lookout for references to other HB works, as well as some pop culture details. One of my favorites is on page 7 of the advanced reader's copy.
More reviews here:

1 comment:

Laura said...

D'oh! Sorry, I didn't realize you'd already reviewed this!
I enjoyed it too - it's my first Holly Black, though I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that. I'm sure I'll looove her other stuff.

I liked the art, too. Just detailed enough.