Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Leap of Faith by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley



Abby has been kicked out of public middle school for assaulting a classmate; now she is enrolling in Catholic school, where religion is a required class and she is a stranger in a land of people who knows just how to act. Not only that, but her parents are too involved in their own lives to notice the problems with hers, unless it causes them trouble. So she decides to take drama and become a Catholic just to upset them. But there is a lot more to this Catholic thing than she realized...

I'll admit, I was a bit skeptical about this book. Generally I avoid books that address the religion question. Too many of those I've come across are either heavy-handed or overly didactic. This one manages to explain a lot about Catholicism and the individual search for God without being overwhelming. I definitely think the Catholic church will like it, but so will those who are not Catholic or even Christian. It's a quick read and an interesting one.
I love the part where she asks the priest how to become Catholic and he tells her to start by reading the Bible. She is so disappointed, expecting a Catholic decoder ring or secret handshake. That is so funny!

1 comment:

Kerry said...

Oh my God. We just got blog spam. Jeez.

Anyway, I was going to say that I read this one, too, and quite liked it pretty much for the same reasons. :)