Sunday, February 1, 2009

Fire by Kristin Cashore

There is no doubt that when a friend came back from ALA with this arc I could barely keep myself from ripping it out of her hands. After all, I along with everyone else in existence adored Graceling. I was dying to know what happened next to Katsa and Po. Much to my dismay, I found myself entering an entirely different set of characters. Who are these people I wondered? Where is Katsa? What is going on? I feel angry!

Luckily, I didn’t feel ripped off for long. Cashore introduces an entirely (well almost…and that there is a teaser people!) new cast of characters that I quickly grew to love. According to Cashore's website this is a prequel-ish novel not a sequel and takes place 30 years before Graceling.

Fire, our heroine of this novel, shares many similarities with Katsa. She has a “talent” that she is not proud of, she is beautiful, deadly, and underneath a remarkably moral person. However, Fire, is not a graceling. Nope. Fire is a monster. Yes, a monster. In this kingdom, there are creatures that resemble normal animals in every way shape and form except that they are extraordinarily beautiful and colorful and they use this advantage to become predators. Fire, a monster human, inspires lust, envy, hatred, rage, in everyone and everything and this all by just looking at her. She inspires fear as well through her ability to read and control minds.

I don’t want to tell too much, because it would be an absolute travesty to spoil the plot. However, I don’t think it is saying too much to say that Cashore definitely has a writing style. Besides the likeness her heroines share, there are many of the same themes from Graceling revisited in her second novel. Redemption, love, love triangles (or love squares as is the case here), use of power, good versus evil (with plenty of shades of grey to keep it interesting). And all this with a distinctly feminist edge.

One final note, it drove me crazy trying to figure out what kingdom this story took place in. I was surprised and rather amazed when that answer became clear. Clearly Cashore is able to expand and fill out her mythology without any detriment to her story.

Anyone who has read Graceling will be dying to get their hands on Fire. And those who haven’t read Graceling yet? What the heck are you waiting for?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very very very jealous! Although I'm sorry to hear that we won't be hanging out with Katsa and Po, I still can't wait for this one.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for it to come out!!! And I hear there's a character from Graceling in it as well...

MySharonAnne said...

oh dude so jealous that you got to read this!

Patti said...

It never ceases to amaze me what people get at ALA. They hand out the greatest things there! I am so lucky that someone went and was willing to share!

Bibliovore said...

*sulks jealously in corner*

Sounds great, though. Am even more excited for this release, if possible.

cat said...

Oh, the envy is strong over my way, too! How lucky you are!!

Faith said...

I am so jealous! I am looking forward to this coming out! :-)

Efreak said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Efreak said...

I want your copy. Gimme. Or I do stalkerish things like posting on your blog and following you in an old vw bus that belonged to my grandfather.


Edit: Having read a few entries, I'm following the blog anhow and will have to think up something else to do. I'll let you know when I figure it out.

Ink Mage said...

Aaaaaaaaahhhhh! Want it. NOW. I didn't even know that there were ARCs of Fire out yet.
From your description I'm wondering if I'll find it too similar to Graceling, but if you didn't think it so, maybe not. Whatever the case, I can't wait--for it, or for Bitterblue, in which I think we will see a little more of Katsa and Po.

Patti said...

It had a lot of similarities, but I think there was more than enough new ideas and plot lines to be a great read on its own.

Anonymous said...

Ooohhh so not fair! I want it! I NEED IT!! :D