Friday, January 16, 2009

Dream Girl by Lauren Mechling

Claire has dreams. Dreams that sometimes come true. But not like psychic whodunnit dreams, more like she'll dream about a bright pink lock and then see someone getting off the plane she's one with exactly the same lock. Not very helpful in my view, but nevertheless, it is her secret talent. On her 15th birthday, her grandmother gives her a cameo that is a family heirloom. All of a sudden, Claire's dreams turn into surreal black and white events that need extreme interpretation.

I think my experience reading this book was clouded by the fact that I was extremely tired all week. I just found it...dense. As in lots and lots of words. But I kept reading, something I normally wouldn't do, so I think says something positive about the book. I thought the characterization could have used some work, the friendships should have been fleshed out a bit more, and some editing to make it shorter wouldn't have been wasted. But, all in all, I found it to be an enjoyable, but not taxing read. Even though I wasn't reading too closely I could pick up the book the next day and figure out what was going on and still get back into the story.

I will say that the girl in the cover photo looks anemic and slightly ill and mars what would otherwise be (ok if I'm honest it still is) an extremely attractive cover.

No comments: