Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Sweetheart by Chelsea Cain

So, um, ya...I already read the sequel to Heartsick. After feeling conflicted about reading a serial killer book, I certainly seem to have been eager to get my paws on the sequel. This will have SPOILERS. You've been warned.

It was good. Not as good as the first one, but still good. All the main players show up. A few new characters are introduced, but there isn't too much time spent developing them since they all die. The author must have figured why waste time developing them? In fact, she must have thought that about all her characters because I don't feel like I learned much new about any of them.

I was a little bummed that Susan got herself in an attempted murder situation again and I hope that isn't a feature of each book - Susan having to be saved from this week's killer. But on the upside, we got to witness more of Gretchen and Archie's relationship which is sick and twisted and completely fascinating. As a result, Archie becomes a little less sympathetic of a character and more of someone you want to slap upside the head. We do get some new information on how their relationship "went to the next level" if you will. I hope that Cain doles out a whole bunch more background information on Gretchen in the next installment. I'm sure everyone is wondering how she became the psychopath with the mostess.

I will say that my biggest complaint is that there are constant references to Gretchen's beauty. Her glowing skin, her this, her that...err...Bella syndrome anyone? Totally overdone.

All this being said, I read this book in 3 hours. Couldn't put it down. And I'm totally wanting to read the next one.

No comments: