Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol

If it’s published by :01 I just know I’m in for something interesting. And more importantly: This is the 3rd novel I’ve read just this summer with a Russian-American female protagonist. Shut up! The Borrower by Rebecca Makkai (I didn’t care for this so much) and All These Things I’ve Done by Gabrielle Zevin (I need to blog this soon as Patti and I have some differences with this one). ATTID also has a lead named ANYA. 2011 TREND ALERT!

Anya, a former Russian immigrant who spent years in ESL losing her accent and trying to be normal, falls down a well in spectacular loser fashion and meets a ghost. Anya is rescued and she in turns rescues Emily, the ghost of a murdered teen from 90 years ago. Anya’s not sure about Emily, but soon she learns it’s kind of nice to have a ghost who helps you cheat on tests and learn about the hot guy who suddenly noticed you. Emily is so nice to do all these things for Anya the least Anya can do is solve Emily’s murder. Right? Oh goody! Here’s where it becomes more like a ghost story!

I fully expect Anya’s Ghost on lots of GN Best Of lists this year and I eagerly await what else Vera Brosgol brings to the GN world. Every high school library should have it.

2 comments:

Patti said...

I really enjoyed Anya's ghost. Loved how the ghost got more and more menacing looking.

Do you think this one is strong enough to be the GN contender for a mock printz?

I was thinking I should have saved our facebook discussion for the blog :)

joanna said...

For the Mock Printz - I'm leaning towards no, but I wouldn't count it out totally if you still need titles.

Our FB discussion is saved. And I swear I'll work on that this weekend.