Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Incredible Change-Bots by Jeffrey Brown


This small-sized graphic novel from Top Shelf caught my attention when it arrived with all my new stuff this week. Transformers are a big hit in my house these days and I quite remember their earlier popularity back in the 80s. Jeffrey Brown* gives us another version with The Incredible Change-Bots. To me they are Transformers more hilarious, more awesome alter-ego.

Change-Bots are from the planet Electronocybercircuitron, on which “their highly advanced society operates within a two-party government.” The parties: AWESOMEBOTS and FANTASTICONS. We have bots that change into trucks & cars of all kinds (normal), plus VHS tapes, a tape player, a microwave, and (my favorites!) a bowl of soup and a bag of microwave popcorn. Funny, no? Very.

After a shady election, the two groups battle, destroy their planet in the process, and wind up on Earth where they battle it out some more. That’s pretty much it. Brown’s wobbly and imperfect hand-drawn illustrations lend to the zine quality of the book. I think this is a great fun read for a teen who has a retro (and snarky) sense of humor.

*Who has certainly gained my interest. I have 2 more of his books on hold!

2 comments:

Patti said...

Oh awesome! This sounded so funny in the reviews. I'm glad you liked it!

joanna said...

I just read his Unlikely (gn) yesterday. Really good, too.