Saturday, May 7, 2011

Around the World by Matt Phelan


In celebration, I offer a GN review.

Matt Phelan offers another nice addition to non-fiction GN for young readers with his forthcoming Around the World due in October from Random House. As usual, his storytelling and artwork are top-notch and have a wonderful whimsy to them that is signature Matt Phelan.  I like, I like, I like.

I do think that these 3 stories about adults will not have the appeal that The Storm in the Barn has for young readers. Yes, these are biographies so of course they are not children. My favorite story of the three is Thomas Stevens. The scenes of him, and others, "taking a header" off their bicycles really hit my funny bone. I liked his adventures as well has his message about exploring the marvels of the world and the people who live in it. Nelly Bly, tagged as Girl Reporter - why the necessary "Girl"? - became less adventurous and more tiresome. I admit I wasn't as fond of her as I would have liked. Capt. Solcum's story had adventure but also loneliness and sadness. This story is the one that could be the challenge for young readers.

All in all this is another outstanding nonfiction book and should find its place in schools and libraries.

Out October 2011. 
Book Source: ARC from publisher at TLA conference

No comments: