Thursday, May 26, 2011

What We're Reading at Our House

We have loads of books checked out from the library so I thought I'd post what we have acquired.

  • What to Read When by Pam Allyn (Penguin Group 2009)
    I think this is a lovely basic reference book that makes you think about introducing different topics and types of books at different ages. She does really like Jamie Lee Curtis. Thanks to this article from The Horn Book.
  • Me...Jane by Patrick McDonnell (Little, Brown 2011)
    Really as lovely as all the zillion glowing reviews.
  • Wanted the Perfect Pet by Fiona Roberton (G.P. Putnam's Sons 2009)
    from the library's "May is Pet Month" display
  • Red Wagon by Renata Liwska (Philomel Books 2011)
    I wanted to like this one more. Very cute.
  • Chicken, Chicken, DUCK! by Nadia Krilanovich (Tricycle Press 2011)
    Reminds me of my storytime favorite Tanka Tanka Skunk by Steve Webb. Not quite as infectious, but still fun.
  • Arm in Arm by Remy Charlip (Tricycle Press 1997)
    Picture book artist retro lesson
  • Clementine and the Family Meeting by Sara Pennypacker (Disney Hyperion 2011)
    ARC from TLA. My 2nd grader loooves Clementine. Still no name for Broccoli - but it's coming!
  • Calendar Mysteries : January Joker by Ron Roy (Random House 2009)
    Said 2nd grader was introduced to A-Z Mysteries by his teacher a couple months ago. He can't get enough. Checks out a few a week from school. Calendar Mysteries are a spin-off.
  • The Purple Smurfs by Peyo (Papercutz 2010)
  • Pinky & Stinky by James Kochalka (Top Shelf 2008)
  • The Secret of Platform 13 by Eva Ibbotson
    Eva Ibbotson passed away this past October. I never read her books. I started this one, but am wondering if I should finish it or read with with my 2nd grader.
  • Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour #6 by Bryan Lee O'Malley (Oni Press 2010)
    I have blogged about Scott Pilgrim. I heart him. Lots. But I never read #6. It was published at a bad time for me. I also refused to see the movie because I didn't read it yet. Fast forward to now. We're getting HBO for free these days (we tried to cancel our cable and they offered us this) and the movie is playing almost every day. So I saw it. Before I read it! And you know what? I kind of didn't like it. Then I watched it again. And again with my husband. And again by myself in the middle of the night. And I love it. LOTS! And so I got off my duff to read #6. I then shocked Michelle by saying I liked the movie ending. SHAME! But really, that's how it is.
  • Mathilda and the Orange Balloon by Randall de Seve, illustrated by Jen Corace (Blazer+Bray 2010)
    This is a signed copy gift from our friend Lloyd. Thanks, Lloyd!
  • As far as the 2 year old, he can't get enough Eric Carle/Bill Martin Brown Bear/Polar Bear/Panda Bear. He's really into surprises. Any suggestions?
So what are you reading this week?

2 comments:

Patti said...

Betty Bunny Loves Chocolate Cake has a hilarious ending.

joanna said...

Alas, not owned by my library. It's new so maybe they'll get it later.