Saturday, May 28, 2011

Lemonade and Other Poems Squeezed from a Single Word by Bob Raczka


Between Fuse, 7-Imp, and 100 Scope Notes, I had to read this poetry collection. I can't add anything new to their reviews, so just count me as one of the many fans of this fantastic book o'poems.

The slim volume of 22 poems also doubles as word puzzles. While each poem does indeed get all its words from the single word title, readers sometimes have to piece the letters together to make the words. It takes effort. If you get stumped, turn the page. A more familiar format for the poem is provided. (See my excerpt below.) My 2nd grader had to read them in the easier format. I think he's a little young, but he still liked the idea that the poems came from one word.

 It reminded me of the playful CDB by William Steig. The patient reader is rewarded.


One of my and my 2nd grader's favorites is "Halloween"

all
alone

an
owl

a
howl

oh
no

The poems are illustrated by Nancy Doniger.

book source: checked out from my local public library

No comments: